When and where do you practice?
Our main practices are Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday evenings, and our Sunday group ride starting at 8AM from the UCSD Bike Shop.
What is the workout schedule?
- Mondays: Turbo Workout (bike + run) @ Spanos Track (5:30-7:00 pm)
- Tuesdays: Weights @ Canyonview (11:30-12:00); Swim @ Canyonview (12:00-1:00 pm)
- Wednesdays: Women’s Only Bike Ride @ (7:00-8:30 am); Run workout @ Spanos Track (5:00-6:30 pm)
- Thursdays: Weights @ Canyonview (11:30-12:00); Swim @ Canyonview (12:00-1:00 pm); Turbo @ Spanos (5:30-7:00 pm)
- Fridays: Long run @ Spanos Track (7:00am); Swim @ Canyonview (2:00-3:00 pm)
- Saturdays: (no scheduled team practice)
- Sundays: Team Bike Ride @ UCSD Bike Shop (8:00 am). Please see Bike FAQ page for more information about riding with the team.
Besides our official team practices, people also workout on their own throughout the week. The team email list is the main forum for announcing workouts and finding other people to workout with.
Are practices mandatory?
Team practices are not mandatory, but you should attend as many as you can. Of course, we are all students, so we understand if you have conflicts with school or have a big deadline.
What do you do at practice?
For turbo practices (Mon and Thurs), we’ll put our bikes on stationary trainers and focus on interval training. Monday’s Turbo practice will also include a run workout after we get off the bike.
Track practices (Weds) will work on speed and pacing using shorter intervals.
Swim practices will train technique and endurance.
Long rides (Sun) focus on group-riding skills and bike handling, as well as endurance
What should I bring to practice?
For a turbo workout, you will need to bring your bike, as well as, shoes to ride and run in. Most people wear bike shorts and t-shirts (or some sort of athletic top). Additionally, you will want to bring a water bottle and, if you sweat a lot, a small workout towel. The team will provide the stationary trainers.
For running workouts on the track, just come wearing clothes to run in and your running shoes. You may also want to bring a water bottle.
For what to bring on the Saturday ride, please see the Bike FAQ.
For the swim, you need goggles and a swimsuit, and (usually) hand paddles, size S or XS.
How long are practices?
Swim practices last about an hour, but some people will stay in and swim longer.
Monday and Wednesady practices can last between an hour and an hour and a half, depending on the workout.
The Sunday bike rides typically go from 8am to 11am, which includes times to stop for breaks and to let everyone regroup. Occasionally, the group will split up and people will ride shorter or longer.
How do I find other people to workout with during the week?
To find people to train with, join the team email list and look for announcements. Also, if you want some company on a workout, send an email to the list and invite people to join you.